Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Spin-Off, Season One: Episode 3

I have a soft spot for Babel. I know many people consider it to be Crash’s less distinguished foreign cousin, which generally irks me. But I’ve grown out of my initial loathing for Crash and descended into righteous dislike...but I digress. Babel, like so many ensemble dramas there are so many characters to take note of ...so many characters we could spend more time with. I’d single out Adrianna Bazzara as the film’s strongest performer, but my second choice is someone that’s often forgotten – Pitt. I’m still confused as to why Pitt was virtually ignored that year, but then he was also ignored for a brilliant turn in The Assassination of Jesse James (and once again, I’m digressing...)
Cate Blanchett and Brad Pitt play the married couple, Richard and Susan Jones. They're a couple with obvious relationship trouble, she gets shot in the neck at the beginning of the film and he spends the duration of the film ensuring that she doesn’t die. Cate and Brad showed us later that they have amazing chemistry (evidence) but I like the idea of them in Babel even if Cate’s role was slight. I’m not sure if the idea of a spin-off (prequel?) that has me interested, after all marriage dramas are nothing inventive at the moment...that being said, what is? It’d be interesting to see them travel that territory again, though.I'd be willing to sit down and watch two hours of Cate and Brad biting each other's head off.
                    
What about you? 
         
Previously:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...