Sunday, September 5, 2010

Long Overdue, 99 Cent Word Review: Salt and Splice

Both of these films were seen in early August – (the last new movies I saw: loathsome, I know).

Salt
The thing is Salt wasn’t bad, it was fairly interesting and I can’t recall a movie being worse for having Angelina Jolie in it. But that doesn’t say much. The phrase that comes to mind when I think of it first is that: Angie is better than Salt. Take that for what you will, she could do much worse, and so could we. But that doesn’t make it a poor venture. When I think of recent films in the genre Salt is at least better than most, it’s ridiculous at times but it does what it does in earnest.
C+

Splice
I feel I should watch this again. It’s another fairly good venture, but once again I’m left unmoved for the most part. The premise is good, but Splice never seems to go anywhere that makes me single it out for being particularly riveting. It’s a bit like a dalliance in something that’s meant to shock us – and though I was not disappointed I was not very impressed either. The attempt at mixing genre doesn’t work for me as well as I think it ought to. I’ll praise the valiant attempts – that’s about as much as I’m willing to do.
C

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...