Thursday, January 28, 2010

Just A Spoonful of…Mary Poppins

Months ago when I listed some of my favourite musical scenes I highlighted an under-loved gem from the underrated 1964 musical Mary Poppins. Mary Poppins is on the obvious levels a comedy about the clashes between Mary and everyone she meets but the [few] emotional juggernauts are what speak to me. When she shakes that snow globe and begins to sing that “lullaby” of sorts “Feed the Birds” represents my favourite moment of the film, as Julie croons and we see Jane Darwell in her last screen performance [a cameo] there’s that sense of contentment and satisfaction; childish but true.

Julie’s performance has become undervalued in recent times, I listed it as one of my favourite Best Actress – it’s a list of nepotism, not of skill – but that shouldn’t make you think that Julie isn’t acting here. It’s a copout to just say that she does all that is asked of her, she does, but it’s not that simple. Julie Andrews has a charm that does not come as easy as she makes it seems. On paper Mary Poppins could be silly, I certainly found to the books to be thus, but Julie Andrews is a star – not in the Elizabeth Taylor sense – but one nevertheless. And it is her star quality that makes Mary Poppins works.
              
She doesn’t work completely on her own though. I never was too enthralled with Dick Van Dyke’s Bert, and I often found myself forwarding through his solo numbers when I was younger, but upon recent viewing it’s not as a annoying as I remembered. Of course, he’s no Julie – but who is? The Banks are played wonderfully by David Tomlinson and especially Glynis John who lends a perceptible comedic timing that should not go unvalued. It is a pity she didn’t do more film work. Then, of course, the Banks children. It’s so simple to write them off, but they [Karen Dotrice and Matthew Garber] lend a perfect sense of bewilderment, astonishment and wonder at seeing Mary’s theatrics, and the two of them along with Dick and Julie make us believe even the most dimensional things seem real.
                            
Mary Poppins is light and fun, you could always try to find some hidden subtext and of course the aged theme of childhood remains true. I find it delightful that it earned a Best Picture nomination, even if some will look back with disdain. Mary Poppins is a wonderful film, and above all else it introduced the world to Maria Von Trapp – the singer. It’s #100.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...