Monday, January 11, 2010

Anticipating 2010: Part 3

Well we're getting slowly, but surely. Now for top half of the forty films that I'm anticipating for this year. By this time, these are the films that I'm expecting very much of. So here's the next ten.  I hope you read Part One and Part Two.
            
Julie Taymor is not a favourite of mine. Her excellent work in parts of Across the Universe was eviscerated by some horrid parts. I’m not too keen on changing the sex of Prospero, who I’m already resenting as a woman, but it’s Helen Mirren and I can forgive her for anything. Despite the alleged racial overtones of Caliban [which I think are BS] Djimon Honsou could be a wickedly good Caliban and even though The Tempest is nowhere near my favourite work by Will, I’m expecting much of this. And Ben Whishaw is in this, so it's a plus.
                      

Ethan Hawke probably takes the crown as the most underrated actor of his generation. He has a lead role in this cop drama which looks as if it could be a sleeper hit, and I’m hoping for that. I don't really know what it's about, which should make it somewhat lower on the list. But, that's me. Richard Gere and the talented Don Cheadle costar and the film is directed by Antoine Fuqua of Training Day fame. Here's to this.
             
I'm worried that this will not be completed for this year: three Weisz films this year does seem to be much. Weisz and Collin Farrell star as two broken people who share a tentative romance. The book is a bit of a thriller. This could be a good low-key drama, if it gets done.
           

Woody Allen. That’s enough to make me watch.The film centres on a family and the drama in their lives which isn't much, but Woody never lets on about his films - plot wise. I sure would have liked if Nicole Kidman was still attached, but the cast still looks strong. Anthony Hopkins, Naomi Watts and Antonio Banderas are actors I like and Josh Brolin is rising in my esteem, so I'm particularly hopeful for this. I like Woody's drama as much as his comedy actually.

           

I’m still not sure if it’s only this country that doesn’t have this or not. Is this even a 2010 release? Well, it’s Rachel Weisz who is enough of a pull for me, but the entire premise is quite interesting and it looks to be quite a provocative drama and it's directed by Amenabar who was the director of the underrated, but wonderful The Others.I expect this to be a good one.
                   


As The Mad Hatter said it’s Iron f***ing man. Of course it’s not that high on my list, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t expecting this to be good. Robert Downey Jr. is a whole lot of fun, Gwyneth Palthrow is fun when she’s having fun, Mickey Rourke is flippantly cool. And then there’s Scarlett: va va voom. It’s wrong that she’s my biggest draw her, but she is. Blame it on the hormones, but Scarlett Johansson in leather. Count me in.
             
To be honest, I was not a big fan of the first Wall Street since Michael Douglas is still a question as far as I’m concerned and Charlie Sheen is just ugh. Still, I’m interested to see what Oliver Stone can do twenty years after the fact and with Susan Sarandon and Carey Mulligan joining on with Shia LeBouef, who I believe has more potential than we can discern from Transformers, I’m excited for this. The plot follows Gekko [Douglas] who is now out of prison and trying to repair relationships with his estranged Daughter [Mulligan].
                   

The film is inspired by a true story that traces the escape of a group of Russian soldiers from a Siberian iprison n 1942 and the passage they take to India. Peter Weir, an accomplished director, writes and directs and the film stars Collin Farrell [he's going to be having quite a year, no?], Ed Harris [who is underrated], Jim Sturgess and Saoirse Ronan. This could be a very nice drama. I expect it to be, at least, aesthetically satisfying.
                 
This could have been higher,  but form here on out it's all a toss up. William Monahan, writer of the almost  perfect The Departed adapts this novel and makes his directorial debut with this piece. It centres on a reclusive actress [Keira Knightley] who befriends  a London criminal played by Collin Farrell. Yes, this is Colin's fourth film in my top 40. Told you, he's going to be having quite a year. I'm very excited for this. Keira Knightley is broadening her horizons, and I like it. She's underrated, same goes for Farrell. I'm unsure about Monohan, I hope his debut is not too gratuitous.               
        
The film chronicles two rival ballet dances - Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis. Portman's character's world falls apart when she loses the lead in Swan Lake to her rival. Hence the title. This looks good, I'm a fan of Portman and this also has Winona Ryder and Barbara Hershey. Darren Aronofsky is yet to completely wow me, but I know he has the potential. Perhaps, this is it?
                     
So the top ten is a few posts away? Any one here you expected to crack the ten? Which Farrell film are you looking forward to more? Waiting for Agora? Black Swan?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...