Saturday, January 2, 2010

25 Men of the Nineties

Right now we’re entering into that time of year when everyone starts going wild with the lists. Some are fun, and some are not so much fun. And they all come so close together, it’s almost apocalyptic. I'm always interested in good performances as well as good films, so these two lists were delightful, and inspired me somewhat. The decade has come to end and we’ve been privy to lists’ galore – best of the decade, best of the year and on and on. I won’t be revealing my lists of either until the end of the month, but I thought I’d like to revisit the decade before that – the nineties. I’m a child of the nineties, and though I don’t think the aughts [as they’ve been proclaimed] were bad, the nineties were way better. So I’d like to take a look at my favourites of the nineties: year after year. No explanations. Certainly, I’ve not seen all the important films of that decade. But it’s the best of what I’ve seen obviously. So let me unveil my twenty five favourite men of the nineties.
          
Al Pacino in Donnie Brasco
Anthony Hopkins in The Remains of the Day
Anthony Hopkins in The Silence of the Lambs
Brad Pitt in Fight Club
Daniel Day Lewis in In the Name of the Father

Ed Harris in The Truman Show
Ed Norton in Fight Club
Ian McKellen in Gods & Monsters
Jeff Bridges in The Fisher King
Joe Pesci in GoodFellas

Joseph Fiennes in Shakespeare in Love
Jude Law in The Talented Mr. Ripley
Kenneth Branagh in Hamlet
Kevin Spacey in American Beauty
Kevin Spacey in The Usual Suspects

Leonardo DiCaprio in What's Eating Gilbert Grape
Matt Damon in The Talented Mr. Ripley
Morgan Freeman in The Shawshank Redemption
Ralph Fiennes in Schindler's List
Ralph Fiennes in The English Patient

Sean Penn in Dead Man Walking
Tim Robbins in The Shawshank Redemption
Warren Beatty in Bugsy
Warren Beatty in Dick Tracy
Wes Bentley in American Beauty

           
In case you're hungering for lists of the 2000s: check out
The Mad Hatter
Univarn
RC
Nick
Blake 
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...