Monday, January 4, 2010

2001: The Men

I hope you're not getting tired of my year be year process of reviewing the decade. I care if you do. Honest, I do. No one? Good. So, on to the actors of 2002. I didn't see a few of the films with the outstanding males, and when I did I made some different choices. Oh well. Who wants generic picks?
               
Supporting Actor

Tier Two
Matt Damon in Ocean’s Eleven
Colin Firth in Bridget Jones' Diary
James Gandolfini in The Mexican
Ed Harris in A Beautiful Mind
Clive Owen in Gosford Park
Damon, Firth and Galdolfini rise above some incredibly stock characters and make magic. Damon especially is a hoot as Linus showing some incredible comedic skills. His rapport with the cast [especially Pitt] is delightful to watch and just makes Ocean's Eleven a success. Harris is good in A Beautiful Mind and Owen only just misses the mark as the enigmatic Parks in Gosford Park. 
                            

The Nominees
Sean Bean in The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings
Jim Broadbent in Iris
Jim Broadbent in Moulin Rouge

Ian McKellen in The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings
Ryan Philippe in Gosford Park
I suppose Philippe seems like a dud here, but if Gosford Park did anything it was proof that he could act. He had an oddly fascinating chemistry with Kristin Scott Thomas and lent a definite charm to the film. So in the battle of Gandalf vs Boromir, Gandalf is the winner. Obviously. Boromir is a mere human. And Jim Broadbent faces off against himself with his Zidler from Moulin Rouge prevailing.
                

Lead Actor

Tier Two
George Clooney in Ocean’s Eleven
Heath Ledger in A Knight’s Tale
Guy Pearce in Memento
Sean Penn in I Am Sam
Mekhi Phifer in O
Maybe I'm easy on him, but Heath Ledger was oddly charming in A Knight's Tale, and Clooney whom I usually despise works his charm with much aplomb in Ocean's Twelve. Though I never really got into Memento Pearce was fine, and Penn had a tough job with that hammy character in I Am Sam. I'm glad he was nominated at the Oscars actually. He and Phifer are the best of this bottom five.

                 
The Nominees
Russell Crow in A Beautiful Mind
Ethan Hawke in Training Day
Ewan McGregor in Moulin Rouge
Denzel Washington in Training Day
Tom Wilkinson in In the Bedroom
I suppose it is surprising that Crow is there, but I did feel he was one of the truly strong things about the film. Of the two Training Day guys I’ve already pledged my allegiance to Ethan Hawke who emerges as the winner [surprise, no?] with Tom Wilkinson close behind for heart wrenching turn in In the Bedroom. Ewan McGregor secures the bronze for an underrated and exceptional piece of acting in Moulin Rouge.
                 
So, surprised at Ethan Hawke, Sean Bean, Ryan Philippe? Who are your choices?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...