Wednesday, January 6, 2010

2001: The Women

So. Now it's on to 2001 and the acting of the women. It was pretty here and there, I didn't agree with either of the AMPAS' choices. But that's nothing new, for me.
           
Supporting Actress
Tier Two
Cate Blanchett in The Fellowship of the Rings
Laura Dern in Mulholland Drive
Cameron Diaz in Vanilla Sky
Michelle Pfeiffer in I Am Sam
Kate Winslet in Iris
Strangely Kate doesn’t make the list, though I think her performance is outstanding. I’m not sure I quite ‘got’ Mulholland Drive, and strangely I don’t think I care. Still, Laura Dern was fine as I remember her. Blanchett’s Galadriel was a thing to behold and she made a profound mark with such a small role in a film of such cope. Pfeiffer and Diaz were underrated. Pfeiffer’s character in I Am Sam was a throwaway one, but completely realistic, and Diaz was the best thing in Vanilla Sky. That’s not saying much, though. And although Kerry Washington didn’t make the list, her work in Save the Last Dance was the strongest in the film too. And she was a complete delight.
                   
The Nominees
Cate Blanchett in Bandits
Helen Mirren in Gosford Park
Maggie Smith in Gosford Park
Kristin Scott Thomas in Gosford Park
Marisa Tomei in In the Bedroom
Marisa Tomei showed us in In the Bedroom that her Oscar was not a fluke; but she was steamrolled by the Gosford ladies for me. Helen Mirren is most impressive as Mrs. Wilson – a truly exceptional performance, followed by the overlooked Kristin Scott Thomas in a cold turn as a longsuffering wife. Cate Blanchett’s comedic genius only just edges out Maggie Smith for another comedic performance, this time in a drama.
                    
Lead Actress

Tier Two
Halle Berry in Monster’s Ball
Julia Stiles in Save the Last Dance
Naomi Watts in Mulholland Drive
Sigourney Weaver in Heartbreakers
Reese Witherspoon in Legally Blonde
Watts and Berry are just knocking on the door of the five. Once again, I can't jump with such delight on Mulholland Drive train, and I can't say I has aching for Watts to be nominated; but she was good in her film. But Sigourney and Reese carve enjoyable comedic characters in their films, and though I suppose it’s residual adolescence I do find Stiles charming in Save the Last Dance.
              

The Nominees
Judi Dench in Iris
Nicole Kidman in Moulin Rouge
Nicole Kidman in The Others
Sissy Spaceck in In the Bedroom
Renee Zellweger in Bridget Jones’ Diary
Judi Dench’s Iris is not her strongest work, but it’s still nomination worthy. Nicole Kidman takes the gold and silver for Moulin Rouge and The Others respectively. Of course double nods are not allowed at Oscar, but both were exceedingly impressive performances. Sissy Spaeck is third for her haunting work in In the Bedroom. 
                
What were your thoughts on the year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...