Sunday, January 31, 2010

A Few Words About Casablanca

Casablanca always saddens me a bit. It is ironic how despite being advertised as one of the greatest love stories of its time it’s really quite depressing. The film is really quite bleak and is all about dealing with what life throws at you. Try as I may I can’t write an adequate review of it; probably because it’s all been said before. Sure it’s not my favourite film, but I won’t deny the sheer gorgeousness of it all. The acting – is spending, and the consummate supporting actor – Claude Rainns – is good here. Of course it all comes down to Ingrid and Bogart. Ingrid Bergman remains as one of the loveliest faces to brighten the screen and she’s exceptional here, but you already know that.
Casablanca ranks with The Godfather, Citizen Kane and Schindler’s List as those films that you have to love…or else. I like two very much, respect one and the other I am not too fond of.. Casablanca I suppose is ranked just a little too low. But the thing with these massively popular films is that it’s often difficult to get that personal feeling for something that everyone is enamoured with. Nevertheless, that doesn’t mitigate the sheer brilliance of Curtiz’s film. Casablanca is good film making, and it’s a classic for a reason. Here it is at #82.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...