Sunday, June 20, 2010

Music Break […with Norma Dresmond]

I can’t say that I love Andrew Lloyd Webber – sure he has my name (or I his) but generally I’m wont to loathe the man. Still, he has his moments (name Evita and Sunset Boulevard for me). Wilder’s classic doesn’t seem like the usual film to spawn a Broadway production…but the music is lovely at times. Particularly this excellent number, "As If We Never Said Goodbye". It's a love song to the movies really, as Norma sings to the cardboard trees and painted seas of the studio she loves...
          
Elaine Paige is such a good singer, and here's what she does with it...
         
And Ms. Streisand puts her own stamp on the number. What a voice on that woman.
           
And here is the excellent Glenn Close in full costume singing her rendition (for the role which won her a third Tony Award).
                           
I wonder if they’ll ever get around to that screen incarnation of the musical...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...