Saturday, June 5, 2010

TV Meme, Day 5: A Show I Hate

One show came to mind as soon as I heard the words TV and hatred. Of course, I’m not focusing on realities shows because Dancing With the Stars would have been an easy target for condemnation. But still, focusing on scripted shows there are some that annoy me to no end - My Wife & Kids, That’s So Raven, Touched By An Angel but I wouldn’t like to obliterate any of them (and their remains) as much as I’d like to do it to a certain CBS comedy that for some reason continues to be something of an Emmy magnet.

How I loathe Two & A Half Men. Simply put, that is it. I don’t think I’ve ever really grasped the appeal of CBS comedy. Sure I’ll enjoy a random episode now and then of How I Met Your Mother - but it’s hardly considered a favourite of mine (even though NPH really should have that Emmy by now). But I don’t find any CBS show as clunkily put together as Two & A Half Men. It’s one of the two reasons for my hatred. I remember being vaguely impressed by Angus T. Jones when he was in See Spot Run (remember that one?) but in Two & A Half Men between Jon Cryer and the Charlie Sheen he’s just another addition to an irritating venture. It’s one of those shows where the “in studio” audience’s laughter makes me nonplussed as to the hilarity. The show just meanders through from boring episode to boring episode. Someone, I can’t recally who, once referred to the show as provocative. If provocative meant loathing, I suppose they’re on the right track.
                        
My initial hatred of Two & A Half Men is only exacerbated by the success it finds at the awards. Jon Cryer’s Emmy win last year was my least favourite moment of the show, and after Kristin Chenoweth’s delightful Emmy win it seemed the Academy took a thousand steps backwards. Charlie “can’t act” Sheen does nothing to raise the bar of comedy on television and I’m not sure why Two & A Half Men is so often referred to as American’s #1 comedy? Is it really? Maybe I’m alone on a limb here; perhaps I really am missing something. Nonetheless, I hate it. Enough said. 
      
This entry is part of my ongoing meme on TV Moments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...