Thursday, June 10, 2010

TV Meme, Day 10: A Show that I Didn’t Expect to Love

Generally, I’m good at gauging what I’ll like and what I won’t. I don’t think there’s ever been a show I expected to hate which I ended up loving but often I think of Sex and the City as one of those shows that I never saw myself becoming a big fan, and in the wake of the film which has made everyone seem to forget the excellence that was the series I think it’s definitely one that is worthy of some devotion.
I think I saw a random episode of Sex and the City some time during its actual series run, but I didn’t pay much attention to it. Sometimes afterwards I bough the first two seasons for my sister and I sat down to watch a few episodes and I was quite surprised. Sex and the City is a series that works even when it shouldn’t work so well, and that’s because (unlike its big screen incarnation) Sex and the City goes about its business complete without any self-consciousness. Its humour is bawdy, but it also hits you with moments of poignancy – sometimes simultaneously. Sex and the City seems to emanate sentiment that reeks of unsophisticated femininity (no offense), but that’s merely superficial. Sure, it’s rooted in the actions of its four female protagonists but if it’s a “chick-flick” – a moniker, that unfortunately, exists as one of deprecation – it’s in the vein of Mean Girls not Material Girls. None of the characters in it are trying to gain our approvals – even if Charlotte is a bit of a people pleaser.
Incidentally, Sex and the City shows up on a few more days in the meme and I’m proud to admit allegiance to it. I don’t want to see the sequel, even lovers of the show are aware of its fault. But I hope King gets that long-awaited epiphany and realises what it was that make it the hit it was in the first place. Episode after episode did not depend on outlandish guest stars on convoluted departures from the city. It was a smart show posing as drivel – often deliberately to prove a point. I didn’t think I’d like it – I’m obviously not the target audience, but I’m glad I gave it a try – it was definitely worth it.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...