Saturday, April 10, 2010

Decade in Review: Music of the Night

Somewhere along the line I fizzled out on this series, but it's April and as I said I'm doing the exorcism...so here goes. I like music, actually I used to be obsessed with it (more than books and film, gasp). Not so much anymore, though. I'm probably one of the few who love the music categories at the Oscars though. I've taken a look back over the decade of the pieces of film music that really moved me this past decade.

THE SCORES - I linked to youtube clips of each piece, and embedded my three favourites
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings [Shore] It's as epic as it needs to be and always so moving, especially the bits in the Shire. listen
      
The Hours [Glass] His use of the wood instruments is startlingly good, the music is just as important as the editing in the joining the lvies of our three women. listen
      
Cold Mountain [Yared] From the opening note he gets me hooked. Not as lovely as his work on The English Patient, but still excellent. listen
     
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King [Shore] I find it even better than the first two, it's not as made up of refrains as The Two Towers and it's darker than the first. listen
    
Finding Neverland [Kaczmareck] It's a shame has hasn't done anything notable since. listen    

Pride & Prejudice [Marianelli] I always assumed that actual classical music was being played. The pieces at the ball are particularly jaunty and fun. listen
    
Atonement [Marianelli]

As soon as that typewriter started clicking I knew I was on to something especial...and I was.
     

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button [Desplat]

This particular entry "Mr Gateau" is my favourite portion of the score, but it's all excellent. What a snub that was.
     
Bright Star [Bradshaw]

What an excellent debut for a newcomer. It's not abundant, but it's excellent.

The Fantastic Mr. Fox [Desplat] listen

It's so different from his good work on Button and Cheri. The music is almost its own character, throroughly original and inventive.
      
THE SONGS - I linked to youtube clips of each piece, and embedded my three favourites, and another...

"Come What May" from Moulin Rouge! listen

The snub heard around the world...this was due to the always weird rules of the Oscar's music branch.  Moulin Rouge!'s love duet is so lovely and it's so nice hearing Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman harmonise. Isn't it?
        
"May It Be" from The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings  listen

Enya is a talented singer, and her vocalising is major part of why this track is always so haunting. It sets the perfect tone for the trilogy.

"I Move On" from Chicago


I liked this song fine when I heard it play over the credits with Roxie and Velma hoping to "move on", but it was when a pregnant Catherine Zeta Jones and Queen Latifah performed it at the Oscars that I realised the beauty of this number. Ebb and Kander know a thing or two about excellence, and this song is just that.
     
"Scarlet Tide" from Cold Mountain


Alison Krauss is a talented singer and her ballads for Cold Mountain are lovely. This song easily stands out as my favourite film number of the decade. It's eerie how much the words have to do with the plot for the film...just lovely.
   
"Into the West" from The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King listen

Annie Lennox's number for the trilogy features as a good companion piece for "May It Be". I won't lie, I shed a tear as the credits starting rolling at the cinema and this tune started playing. For shame.

"Learn to Be Lonely" from The Phantom of the Opera


Even though I actively loathe Andrew Lloyd Webber, hearing Beyonce sing this at the Oscars (remember tha year?) made me realise that the man has his moments. The ballad is simple, but in no way pedestrian and it fits so perfectly with the life of The Phantom. It's not my favourite of the ten, but it really is an excellent performance from Ms. Knowles.

      

"Falling Slowly" from Once listen
Who doesn't at least like this? Just beautiful.      

"So Close" from Enchanted listen

This stood out as my favourite of the enchanted numbers. It doesn't really do that much in context of the film, but it's a good song nonetheless.
      
"Once In A Lifetime" from Cadillac Records listen

2008 was a travesty in terms of the song category, they snubbed Springsteen and they snubbed this good piece from Cadillac Records, an underappreciated film. I'm still not sure how it ties to the film's plot (which is probably why it was not nominated), but it really is something special - says me.
     
"Smoke Without A Fire" from An Education 


It's so clear that the film was written with Jenny Mellor in mind when you listen to the lyrics, and Duffy's unique voice makes it all the more moving with no schmaltz.
   
Well, you know my taste in films...but what are your thoughts on my musical tastes? Which score remain in your memories from this past decade, which songs can't you stop humming?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...