Thursday, April 29, 2010

Celebrating the Master

I just wrote about the birthday of a lovely lass, known to lovers as La Pfeiffer. Jose just recently posted a nice piece about the union of that lovely lady and this man, the master of all things acting. Daniel Day Lewis doesn’t work quite as often as I’d like him to, but when he does he’s exceptional. Yes, that includes his Guido Contini from last year, it was imperfect but entertaining. These are my five favourite performances from this genius (as said by Maria Elena)
                 
Plainview in There Will Be Blood (2007)
"Stop crying, you sniveling ass! Stop your nonsense. You're just the afterbirth, Eli"
                      
Gerard Conlon in In the Name of the Father (1993)
"I'm an innocent man. I spent 15 years in prison for something I didn't do. I watched my father die in a British prison for something he didn't do. And this government still says he's guilty. I want to tell them that until my father is proved innocent, until all the people involved in this case are proved innocent, until the guilty ones are brought to justice, I will fight on. In the name of my father and of the truth!"
       
Bill the Butcher in Gangs of New York (2003)
"You see this knife? I'm gonna teach you to speak English with this fucking knife! "
       
Newland Archer in The Age of Innocence (1993)
"You gave me my first glimpse of a real life. Then you asked me to go on with the false one. No one can endure that."
       
Christy Brown in My Left Foot (1989)
"All is nothing, therefore nothing must end. "
            
"I want the universe to get down on its knees and say Daniel, whatever you do it's okay even if it's impossible, we'll arrange it. That's all that I want"
        

Give him what he wants. He deserves it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...