Thursday, April 15, 2010

British Birthday

I'm not back in full yet, but I had the fortune to come on line this morning to this post from Nick Davis informing me that today was the birthday of one of the most brilliant actresses alive - Emma Thompson. In typical intellectual fashion he wrote  a piece on this lovely lady, and it would be remiss of me to let the day pass without some mention...so here are my five favourite performances from the great Brit (like I did with Diane Keaton before).
      
Vivan Bearing in Wit (2001)
 
"I don't mean to complain but I am becoming very sick. Very sick. Ultimately sick, as it were. In everything I have done, I have been steadfast. Resolute. Some would say in the extreme. Now, as you can see, I am distinguishing myself in illness."
                    
Beatrice in Much Ado About Nothing (1992)
 
"I wonder that you will still be talking, Signior Benedick: nobody marks you."
           
Elinor Dashwood in Sense & Sensibility (1995)
"What do you know of my heart? What do you know of anything but your own suffering. For weeks, Marianne, I've had this pressing on me without being at liberty to speak of it to a single creature. It was forced on me by the very person whose prior claims ruined all my hope. I have endured her exultations again and again whilst knowing myself to be divided from Edward forever. Believe me, Marianne, had I not been bound to silence I could have provided proof enough of a broken heart, even for you."
      
 Miss Kenton in The Remains of the Day (1993)
"And I would ask you, Mr. Stevens, to turn around and look at the chinaman."
    
Margaret Schlegel in Howards End (1992)       
"Will you forgive her as you yourself have been forgiven... you have had a mistress; I forgave you. My sister has a lover, you drive her from the house. Why can you not be honest for once in your life? Why can't you say what Helen has done, I have done!"
               
Which is your favourite?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...