Monday, April 12, 2010

Wrapping Up: Performances of the Decade (Females)

So I’ve finished with the men, and on to the women. Even though there will always be complaints about the few female roles available it’s always difficult compiling a list of great female performances, because they’re always on top of their game. The Schlegel sisters are here to watch over the events., my favourite sister sister screne pairing. You know Emma and Helena were on fire in the nineties. If I had my way they'd have three Oscars a piece, but I have no discretion.
                             
*Abbie Cornish in Bright Star
Adriana Bazzara in Babel
Amy Adams in Doubt
*Annette Bening in Running With Scissors
Cate Blanchett in Notes on A Scandal
*Cate Blanchett in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Charlize Theron in Monster
*Helena Bonham Carter in Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Imelda Staunton in Vera Drake
Judi Dench in Notes on A Scandal
*Julia Roberts in Closer
Julianne Moore in Far From Heaven
Juliette Binoche in Chocolat
Kate Winslet in The Reader
*Keira Knightley in Atonement
Keira Knightley in Pride & Prejudice
*Kristin Scott Thomas in Gosford Park
*Kristin Scott Thomas in I’ve Loved You So Long
Laura Linney in You Can Count On Me
Marcia Gay Harden in Pollock
Marion Cotillard in La Vie En Rose
*Marion Cotillard in Nine
*Marisa Tomei in Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead
Natalie Portman in Closer
*Nicole Kidman in Cold Mountain
*Nicole Kidman in Margot at the Wedding
Nicole Kidman in Moulin Rouge!
*Nicole Kidman in The Others
Patricia Clarkson in Pieces of the April
Renee Zellweger in Chicago
*Romola Garai in Atonement
Saoirse Ronan in Atonement
*Scarlett Johansson in Match Point
Sissy Spaceck in In the Bedroom
              
Musings on the List:
- Only 19 of the 50 women I pinpointed went un-nominated by Oscar.
       
- The Australian women really had it made in the last decade. Nicole appears five times (frice?) on the list, and I didn’t even note her good performances in Birth or Dogville. What a roll she’s been on (even if Oscar chooses to ignore). She ruled the decade. My darling Cate shows up thrice, it was a bit difficult leaving off her take on Bob Dylan, but as much as I appreciate it’s excellence, I don’t love it.
        
- I never realise I like Keira Knightley so much until I think about and notice that she’s given two performances I adore. I know she’s not wholly loved, but when she’s good she’s excellent. Hopefully her trimester this year brings at least one exceptional piece – my money’s on Never Let Me Go.
            
- Speaking of Keira, a number of ingénues make my list. I wonder what the new decade will say for Abbie, Carey, Natalie, Scarlett, Romola and Saiorse. I still think of Amy Adams as part of the twentysomethings, even if she’s well into her thirties…
          
- Helena Bonham Carter was on quite a high in the nineties, but she didn’t quite take off as well in the aughts (although she was exceptional in Live From Baghdad). She started off well this decade with Alice in Wonderland (or so I’ve heard) and I’m keeping my fingers crossed for The King’s Speech.
                 
I'm sure I'm missing someone....but who...? What do you think of these 50? Who'd you bring in; who'd you kick out? Was Nicole really the greatest this decade, or is it just nepotism?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...