Friday, November 27, 2009

The Supporting Actress Race

American Thanksgiving has come and gone and as December begins and Christmas draws nearer a young movie blogger’s fancy turns to Oscar buzz. It seems the norm. as the year draws nearer, all the prestige pictures are released and we can’t help but contemplate who will win what – and we predict. But I don’t predict the Oscars. I just don’t have the heart. Sure when it’s a few days before I’ll get a list of who I think will we nominated. I’m actually quite good at that, but I don’t have the longevity like some for year round predictions. I suppose then you’re wondering what exactly the title of this post means.
               
I’ve seen a little over thirty films of 2009 so far – not outstanding, but considering it’s not that bad. I’m already wondering what my own personal awards will look like next February. There are a host of films I’ve yet to see. But that only makes it interesting. Still, with only a few important titles under my belt I’ve already taken a liking to a few of the Supporting Women in films I’ve seen thus far. So I’ll take a look at them whilst looking ahead at the women who’re likely to uproot them.
           
CURRENT TOP 5

Maria Bello in The Private Lives of Pippa Lee
Kristin Chenoweth in Into Temptation
Patricia Clarkson in Whatever Works
Marion Cotillard in Public Enemies
Diane Kruger in Inglourious Basterds
              
Each of these five women with their limited roles do much to improve their respective films. I’d have loved to have any of these women in my top 5 in any particular year, so I must pay tribute to them now since it’s likely that few if any will remain in my top ten by the time I’ve seen all the films I want to.
            
ENSEMBLE FILMS TO LOOK OUT FOR
Nine: Marion Cotillard, Penelope Cruz, Judi Dench perhaps Nicole Kidman or Kate Hudson
I know Cotillard is being campaigned in lead, but she’ll probably be supporting for me. If Nine hold up it could easily take three spots in my end of year awards.
      

The Lovely Bones: Susan Sarandon and Rachel Weisz
It’s very possible to see both these women taking a spot in my top ten or even the top 5. I’m looking forward especially to Susan Sarandon who was probably my favourite actress of the nineties.
         
Precious: MoNique, Mariah Carey perhaps Paula Patton
I won’t try to escape the buzz for Precious. I wonder if MoNique will top my awards... Still I am a fan of hers and she could very well take a place, and if Mariah is as amazing as they say, who knows?
          
Up In the Air: Vera Farmiga or Anna Kendrick
Vera Farmiga is my biggest draw to this film, and if she’s good she could end up here. I’ve been hearing good things about Kendrick, so she too could make a play for it.
           
PERFORMANCES THAT COULD IMPRESS
Julianne Moore in A Single Man: With a little cameo she’s scintillating in The Private Lives of Pippa Lee in a nondescript role. I only wonder what she’ll do with a proper role here. I hope she doesn’t disappoint.
     
Natalie Portman in Brothers: I’m keeping my fingers crossed here. The trailer seemed promising enough.
                 
Drew Barymore in Everybody’s Fine: No one’s predicting this, but not being Oscar worthy doesn’t mean I won’t like it. Maybe I’ll like it, or maybe I won’t. But I’m looking out.
                  
Rosamund Pike in An Education: I was a fan of this young lady in Pride & Prejudice. I’ve never been a hater of a performance based on screen time, and regardless of how short this is, if I’m impressed so be it. we’ll see…
                
Marcia Gay Harden in Whip It: I should have seen this by now. Marcia has topped my Year End Supporting Actress list twice, will this be enough to land her there again? I doubt…but she could be in the running.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...