Sunday, November 1, 2009

Going Black to Basics: Medium

Although The Office is the only series I regularly write about [sporadically] it’s not the only one I watch. In fact, one of the shows that I follow regularly that you probably wouldn’t expect to be following is Medium on CBS. I’ve been gunning for Patricia Arquette to get a follow up nomination to her Emmy win. Anyway, last Friday Medium had its Halloween episode. I suppose that the fact that the Halloween episode was one of the show’s better episodes was not purely coincidental.
                                    
The episode concerned Alison experiencing a parallel universe in her dreams which were in black in and white. It’s not the strongest performance she’s given this season, but it was incredibly enjoyable. What prompted me to write this post though, was the black and white portion of the episode. The first shot of Arquette in the old time garb and black and white pallor was really surprising. What was more surprising was how comfortable she seemed in the reel.
                             
I remember checking Glenn over at Stale Popcorn’s blog and noticing this feature he had in his archives about looking at coloured films in black and white. It was a cool feature to see which actors would have thrived in that era and I think Patricia would have been perfect in the era. There’s something that’s really interesting about her face. She’s an attractive woman, although I wouldn’t call her particularly beautiful. Her face is so expressive and black and white just seemed to suit her. She definitely been born in the wrong period I believe.
                                       
On the topic of Glenn though, you should all head over to bombard him with comments asking for the series back. I suggest Cate Blanchett [Elizabeth] or Helen Mirren [Gosford Park] to back to basics. What do you think? Who should go black and white? And I’m serious. Don’t just tell me. Tell Glenn!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...