Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Supporting Actor Race

Everyone keeps thinking that this one’s all tied up. I don’t know about that. Sure, Inglourious Basterds seems to have thrilled but I just don’t think that it’s going to be that cut and dry. I mean, come one, where would the fun in that be? I suppose this always ends up being the weakest category by default and though I’ve seen some men who’ve impressed, I’m not quite ready to grovel at the feet of any of them as yet. Still, as I did with the last category I’m going to weigh in on what I’ve seen thus far, and what I’m anticipating in this category.
       
CURRENT TOP 5
 
Alan Arkin in The Private Lives of Pippa Lee
Jim Broadbent in Harry Potter & the Half Blood Prince
Rupert Friend in The Young Victoria
Anthony Mackie in The Hurt Locker
Christopher Waltz in Inglourious Basterds
                                    

I could see two even three of these men making my ten, but then I remember that there are so many films you don’t expect the supporting actors to come out and grab because they’re not campaigned, but then they’re good. Take last year, two of my top performances had zero buzz.
           
ENSEMBLE FILMS TO LOOK OUT FOR
An Education: Pater Sarsgaard and Alfred Molina
So I’m not sure if Sarsgaard is lead or not, but I could see both these guys going far with these performances.
                
The Last Station: James McAvoy and Christopher Plummer
I heard that they’re going to campaign him in lead; which pisses me off. That’s going to just make this campaign crash and burn. I’ll see if it’s supporting or not when I see it.
           
A Single Man: Matthew Goode, Nicholas Hoult maybe Lee Pace
I don’t what I’m going to expect, or if the performances are going to be any good. I’ll see.
           
The Men Who Stare At Goats: Jeff Bridges, George Clooney, Ewan McGregor
Are any of these guys lead? I heard Bridges is good, but my anxiety for this is waning…
             
It's Complicated: Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin
I’m not really looking forward to this movie, but who knows?
            
PERFORMANCES I’M AWAITING
Stanley Tucci in The Lovely Bones: I’m awaiting everything that this movie’s about. He could definitely land here, but I hope he can pull it off.
         
Paul Schneider in Bright Star: I’m yet to see this [obviously]. I’m a fan of his, but I’m wondering if I’m going to be a fan of this performance. I hope so. But something tells me…
              
Jude Law in Sherlock Holmes: Do I really have to explain this? I want to be this guy. Enough said. I’m biased, sue me.
            
Matt Damon in Invictus: Who knows, maybe I’ll like it.
              
Christopher McKay in Me & Orson Welles: This looks nice, light and fun. But then there’s Efron . I’ll see how it turns out.
         
Should I put any other performances on my anticipated list? Anyone impressed you much thus far?
              

PREVIOUSLY: Supporting Actress; thus far

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...