Sunday, November 8, 2009

2007: Wrapping Up

Damn. It's been loooooooong week. My computer keeps dropping the bloody internet connection, my flash drive has destroyed all my valuable information: don't trust technology. And I have a test on Wednesday for a class where I'm taught nothing. So yeah, it's all great. But hey, the world goes 'round, and 'round. So here's to wrapping up 2007. I thought it was a good year in film. what of you? Here are my winners in the major categories with the runners up in parentheses. Click on the title links for my assessment of the categories.
                  
Costume Design
Atonement [Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street; Elizabeth: The Golden Age]

The green dress was hot, hot, hot. But it was the simpler clothes like Briony's white dresses [irony?] and this dress below in particular that seemed very original.
               

Art Direction
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street [Atonement; Hairspray]

Each of these three films had good set design. But Sweeney came out on top. Just a genius production. Well deserved Oscar win.      
                  
Makeup
La Vie En Rose [Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street; Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix]
                  
Sound Editing
The Bourne Supremacy [Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street; The Assassination of Jesse James]
                  
Special Visual Effects
The Golden Compass [The Bourne Supremacy; Transformers]
       
 I was so psyched when this upset.
           

Cinematography
The Diving Bell & the Butterfly [Atonement, The Assassination of Jesse James]

Sure the shot above is not 'cinematic' much, but even in simple moments...the camera works so well.
                       
Editing
The Diving Bell & the Butterfly [Atonement; There Will Be Blood]
                 
Score
Atonement [The Assassination of Jesse James; The Diving Bell & the Butterfly]
I used to study to Briony's theme. Is that sad?
           
Song
Once “Falling Slowly” [Enchanted “So Close”; Enchanted “That’s How You Know”
              
Adapted Screenplay
Atonement [The Diving Bell & the Butterfly; No Country for Old Men]
I am so biased to Hampton and whatever he does…but still it’s a good script.
                 
Original Screenplay
Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead [Lars & the Real Girl; Enchanted]
- What we got here is good.
- I want more.
- So did Oliver Twist.

Romola Garai in Atonement [Marisa Tomei in Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead; Cate Blanchett in I’m Not There]

Easy decision for me actually. She carries most of her sequence alone on her shoulders. The conversation with the French solider always tears me up [yes, I am WEAK]. She’s good.

Ethan Hawke in Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead [Casey Afleck in The Assassination of Jesse James; Tom Wilkinson in Michael Clayton]

I like Ethan Hawke, that much is known. Maybe it was the character that drew me in, but played by someone else I don’t think I’d have liked Hank much. Why doesn’t Hawke get more roles? The man is so emotive!
             
Angelina Jolie in A Mighty Heart [Keira Knightley in Atonement; Helena Bonham Carter in Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street]

It was actually a really close call between Keira and Angelina. I kept going back and forth, back and forth and eventually I came out with Angie on top. It’s my favourite performance of hers, as with Keira and I think both ladies deserve to be appreciated for their talent and not only for the aestheticism. And HBC at least deserved the Globe win for Musical/Comedy.
                      
Brad Pitt in The Assassination of Jesse James [Philip Seymour Hoffman in Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead; Daniel Day Lewis in There Will Be Blood]

James McAvoy was just behind Day Lewis as the fourth. It was a good group and it wasn’t nepotism that had Pitt at the top of the list. I think there’s a reason he won that Venice Cup and it was well deserved. He was perfectly cast and he delivered well. At least a nod would have been good.
                                       
Julian Schnabel for The Diving Bell & the Butterfly; Joe Wright for Atonement; Sidney Lumet for Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead]
See me, thinking that the Golden Globe nod meant something; I thought he had an actual chance despite being a lone director. See where that got me? I can’t pick a winner though. Close my eyes and I’ll pick randomly, it’s Schnabel. Thought today I feel all Wright. But they’re equal.

Picture
 Atonement [The Diving Bell & the Butterfly; Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead]

 I cannot resist this movie. I cannot resist it. It's my number one as you see.

                   

So what are your thoughts? See there wasn’t a sweep…it was good year. Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...