Monday, August 23, 2010

Movie Meme, Day 23: Best Explosion or Action Scene

I was stumped, somewhat, with this day of the meme. I’ve seen a number of action scenes, I’m sure, but I’d be hard-pressed to call any of them a favourite. Eventually, I realised the issue was defining action – a car chase, a deadly duel – what is an action sequence? It would be a copout to submit the entire two and a half hours of Minority Report (already covered), and though it’s not particularly respected I’d just as easily submit the whole of Shoot ‘Em Up – that movie just puts me in a ridiculously good mood. The Ministry Duel Duel in Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix is so meticulously directed i can’t help but be enthralled – and then there’s the violent centrepiece of Ran, it’s as brutal as they can come.
A few weeks ago Heather completed a list of her favourite battle sequences and in it she listed a scene I have great love for. The Lord of the Ring’s The Two Towers battle at Helm’s Deep. I don’t know if it’s because the rest of the second instalment seems so placid but the climax at Helm’s Deep is just so riveting and it always ends up seeming like the aha moment of the trilogy where the battle really begins. I’m not sure if it’s “action” in the natural sense – but it’s good enough for me. 
      
All for the MEME.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...