Saturday, August 28, 2010

Movie Meme, Day 28: Overhyped

I hate this day in the meme, because really overhyped is a double edged sword. Overhyped by whom? Bloggers? Critics? Awards? I could make a long list of films I’ve never connected to that have been wildly popular with all three.

Memento, Juno, Precious, Michael Clayton. Four films I think are to varying degrees fine or good (all B-s) and each with something to show for them; none of them ever managing to interest me more than in passing. But overhyped? In parts, but not unworthy of praise.

But I had to settle on something, so I settled on one of my least favourite Best Picture wins of all time – incidentally a musical – An American in Paris.
Over time I’ve come to appreciate Gene Kelly more, though I think I’ll always prefer him as a director. Still, An American in Paris is a film that infuriates me whenever I think of it. Owing to its stellar reputation, I – stupidly – spent a lot of money buying a special edition DVD a few years ago. I saw it once and promptly gave it away to a friend. It’s difficult to pinpoint where by dissatisfaction with the legendary musical begins. I’m sure the fact that I care nothing for the characters has something to do with it, perhaps it’s the music which I don’t find memorable at all or perhaps it’s just my weirdness. Perhaps, calling it overhyped is petty but it fits the bill. It’s ridiculously praised and I watch it and am completely flummoxed as to the reason. I’m willing to be schooled though…make an argument for An American in Paris. What makes it so good?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...