Saturday, August 28, 2010

Glee Meme, Day 5: Favourite Duet

The Glee MEME continues…I’m choosing more than one. I can’t commit.
              
I like Idina from listening to her on “Rent”, “The Wild Party” and “Wicked” soundtracks – but she has a penchant for vocal overexertion – an apparent inability to tone down. I don’t know if it’s her age, or the character but she’s flawless on Glee (rewatching the back 9 last week I feel like a fool for leaving her off my guest list. She’d easily make the top 5. Ugh.) I’m still mostly apathetic to Lady Gaga but the rendition of “Poker Face” between Idina and Lea is all sorts of brilliant. In some ways it’s a master class in singing. And the moment is just bloody brilliant. Ironically, perhaps, another duet that always gets me smiling is Lea’s pairing with the other “Wicked” cast member – Kristin Chenoweth. “Maybe This Time” works surprisingly well as a duet and though my allegiance is with Kristin (naturally) it’s never one-sided. April is so much of a cautionary tale for Lea and having them pair up for that number is not incidental. They don’t get to sing to each other like her and Idina, but it’s still lovely.
             
Matthew Morisson continues to be woefully underrated, he’s good…but he’s even better when he gets a talented performer to duet with. “Dream On” and “Fire” could go down in history. On the former the pairing with NPH is brilliant to watch (even if I wish they’d song “The Confrontation” from Les Miserables. And talking about “Fire” Kristin Chenoweth brings out the best in Morrison on the whole (those two have wicked chemistry) – even in the non-singing parts. They work great together.
I’d like to make mention of Morrison’s final song of the season – “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” with Puck is great. I’ll always have allegiance to the original arrangement, but this one works just as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...