Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Movie Meme, Day 24: Quotable Quotes

I'm feeling ridiculously tired at the moment, and really the possibilites are endless (I sense a series of post imminent on this topic). Nonetheless, the ones that came to mind first...
        
Beautiful Profundity
The English Patient: “Betrayals during war are childlike compared to betrayals during peace. New lovers are warm and tender, but smash everything…for the heart is an organ of fire.”
The Lion in Winter: “Of course he has a knife, he always has a knife, we all have knives! It's 1183 and we're barbarians! How clear we make it. Oh, my piglets, we are the origins of war: not history's forces, nor the times, nor justice, nor the lack of it, nor causes, nor religions, nor ideas, nor kinds of government, nor any other thing. We are the killers. We breed wars. We carry it like syphilis inside. Dead bodies rot in field and stream because the living ones are rotten. For the love of God, can't we love one another just a little - that's how peace begins. We have so much to love each other for. We have such possibilities, my children. We could change the world.”

Brilliant One-Liners
The Philadelphia Story: “This is the Voice of Doom calling. Your days are numbered, to the seventh son of the seventh son.” 
           
The Big Chill: “I don't know anyone who could get through the day without two or three juicy rationalizations. They're more important than sex.”
        
Gosford Park: “I'm the perfect servant; I have no life.”

Useable in Everyday Life
There’s a scene in The English Patient when Ralph Fiennes’ patient turns to Juliette Binoche’s Nurse – Hana. “Did you know Herodotus is the father of all history.” She responds glibly, “I don’t know anything.” The line itself is nothing of brilliance, but Binoche’s line reading has stuck with me since…I use it quite often with the same inflection. It's true.
       
All for the MEME.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...