Monday, July 5, 2010

Music Break [...with Sweeney Todd and Mrs. Lovett]

Cut songs and all (where was the rest of "God That's Good") I do love Tim Burton's adaptation of Sondheim's Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. A bit too short, but entertaining and well made. True to my weird nature my favourite moment in the film is one that is often forgotten. True, I've never actually seen a live incarnation of the piece but even though Depp and Bonham Carter were not the belters associated with the roles their soft voices paid off - especially in this scene. "My Friends" along with "Johanna" is the only love song in the musical, and it's writren so wonderfully - but it's not Sondheim's lyrics that carry it through. Depp is, of course, entranced by his tools but it is Helena with that look of longing, even obsession, on her face that commands the screen (er, where exactly was her Oscar nomination)...and I do love it when actors sing in counterpoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...