Monday, July 5, 2010

Failure to Launch, Season One: Episode 1

Weeks ago when I wrote my final post on Forgotten Characters (for the time being) I promised you a new feature. Well, I’m still working on that, but I’ve still decided on another feature (I know, lofty ideals and all). By now you probably know I have my weird idiosyncrasies when it comes to irrational loathing of some actors, but sometimes it’s more than just irrational – they’ve just done nothing to make them worthwhile. So, every now and then I’ll focus on one of them. And it’s too easy to pass up on one of the most obvious choices when the feature’s title is begging me to mention him. And who am I to ignore the obvious?
                            
One career that has failed to launch, with me at least? Matthew Matthew McConaughey
                      
Prosecution, Exhibit A: The Wedding Planner
Against my better judgement I’m rather fond of Jennifer Lopez, the actress. She’s not amazingly talented, but she is personable. It’s weird, she’s doing her best to play a romantic comedy lead in The Wedding Planner and everything’s working with her except her co-lead, Mr. Matthew McConaughey. I’ll be honest, the one thing I particularly treasure in The Wedding Planner is Justin Chambers. He’s donning a faux Italian accent and he’s playing someone completely different to his congenial bastard on Grey’s Anatomy. It’s like the riddle of the sphinx with these romantic comedies, why does the leading lady always go for the prick of a man? I don’t know if Matthew McConaughey’s trying but he’s doing such a good job of making me despise him that The Wedding Planner just leaves a horrid taste in my mouth – not one for repeat viewing.
          
Prosecution, Exhibit B: How to Lose A Guy in 10 Days
This is actually a key bit of evidence used in people’s hatred of Kate Hudson. Poor Kate, she’s much better than she’s given credit for but even she can’t make this sinking ship work. Once again, a leading lady who’s trying and Matthew McConaughey just seems to be going through the motion. Surprise, surprise – he’s (once again) playing a grating character. I don’t know if that points to his range or not (or lack thereof). The film is an utter plod, but it would have been nice if he could have at least tied. Ugh.
               
Prosecution, Exhibit C: Failure to Launch
Sarah Jessica Parker, despite what everyone thinks, is a talented woman. She can play more than Carrie Bradshaw (who is more than just the self-absorbed narcissist she’s referred to as). She’s trying to be a normal romantic comedy lead here, I’m not sure if Matthew McConaughey is playing his character so well or so badly but once again I feel nothing but intense loathing for him. Sure, he goes around shirtless as is his wont, but that’s not impressing me and every time he gives that sickening grin I want to hurl. Add that to the fact that he’s starring with the other loathsome thirtysomething year old (Bradley Cooper) means that the title of the film is just a self-fulfilling prophecy.
           
Defence, Exhibit A: A Time to Kill

It’s just a little ironic that after giving a fairly nuanced performance in this Grisham thriller that Matthew McConaughey decided to continue his career as an unappealing romantic comedy lead. A Time to Kill isn’t a film for the ages (it’s not Grisham’s best novel or best novel adaptation) but it works. Sandra Bullock, Matthew Matthew McConaughey and Ashley Judd put in good performances and Samuel Jackson is particularly moving here (should have been Oscar nominated, I say). Matthew McConaughey works as the conflicted lawyer and his final speech in the courtroom solidifies his top billing status. Pity, he never took it to this level again.
                
Verdict: I say he’s failed, irrefutably. But what you do think? Which side are you on? Has Matthew McConaughey proved his talents or do you, like me, think his career has failed to launch? What are your thoughts on the new feature?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...