Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Happy Birthday to the other KH

I’m not in the habit of writing tributes to actors on their birthday, unless I have a mass of time at hand or I’m a big fan but I couldn’t help but sidle out a few lines for Kate Hudson. I’d be pushing if I called her one of my favourite actors; in fact I’m little more than indifferent towards her. It’s probably just my kneejerk propensity to defend the underdogs which makes me automatically come to her defence when she’s regarded as a bane to good cinema. That and the fact that anyone who was born of a Banger Sister can’t be all bad.
 

What’s so weird about Kate trajectory – upward and downward – was that you’d probably find more than a small throng who’d wager that she was robbed of an Oscar in 2000. I was in single figures at the time and the only interest I retain in the Oscar race that year is merely retrospective (and for the record, Marcia deserved it). I’m neither here nor there on Almost Famous in the first place, so I’m probably not as “offended” as diehard fans who’re insulted at how Kate has squandered her talents. Still, as some passably impressed with her work there I’m always more moved to remember her work in 2003’s Le Divorce as anything potential seminal. And, that’s an opinion that more often than not gets me into trouble....
Merchant Ivory’s quasi-comedic French tale is remembered most often with revulsion – just take a look at the Rotten Tomatoes’ page. I have no shame in admitting my appreciation for it - it's in my top 10 for 2003, and most of that stems from the great rapport Kate shares with her onscreen sister Naomi Watts. It’s not that I remember my fondness for Le Divorce unencumbered by her lesser moments (two opposite Matthew McConaughey, and a couple other missteps); and I don’t think the fact that she was the least memorable in Nine (another film I liked) is proof of her infallibility. She’s not exactly accountable for her extraneous character, right?
I suppose the problem with Kate is that after continuous poor script choices audiences begin to hold her culpable, which is unfortunate. Heaven knows why she chooses the scripts she chooses. Desperation? Folly? A terrible agent? I’m sincerely willing to believe that Kate has a(nother?) good performance up her sleeve. And not only is she the daughter of an Oscar winning Banger Sister, she has the same initials as a cinematic icon, but then she has the same initials as this Katherine – who’s the object of much loathing. But, then, I like that other Kate too. But, that’s a whole other post...
              
For, now I’ll wish this Kate a happy birthday. Hopefully she emerges from the cinematic doldrums sometime soon. Good lord, woman, you're 33 - no time like the present.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...