Thursday, December 31, 2009

Wanting An Education

I'll be honest. An Education was not my most anticipated film of 2009. I'm usually spot on when it comes to what I'm going to like but my favourite of the year is always a surprise - Atonement, Corpse Bride even The Departed were not my most anticipated of their respective years. Perhaps, that's why I love them so much. Sneaking up on you always helps. The thing is though that's I've wanted to see An Education for some time. Univarn remarked that he was sure I'd love An Education. I suppose I do have my "type" of films...but I didn't think it was that obvious. And I really hadn't thought about An Education fitting into that type.
              
What was it exactly that had me wanting to see this so badly? It couldn't be the reviews. Other than the odd effusive one, reviews were fairly good but unexceptional. However, they all cited Mulligan as a showstopper. And as much as I adored Pride & Prejudice Carey Mulligan was not my main reason, or even the resplendent Rosamund Pike for that matter. Molina I like, but I haven't seen him much. Same goes for Sarsgaard. I have my own relationship with Ms. Thompson. But we all knew that was a cameo. So what was it about me wanting to be "educated"?      

Well I have been. And I feel oddly, calm...for want of a better word even serene. The British can do that to you sometimes. I always wonder if my anxiety about a film bouys the grade. Maybe I will myself to like it, or vice versa. I don't know. Is the round-a-bout way of this post annoying you. Sure I've had An Education but as Jenny says "I feel old, but not very wise." I'll return. Don't be mad, I'll expound soon. But I'll leave you with this shot. Isn't it lovely?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...