Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Katharine Hepburn Awards: The Directors and the Pictures

I suppose when I put the category of Best Director I wasn’t sure what to expect. Of course I figured there wouldn’t be complete correlation with the Best Picture [and there wasn’t]; but in both categories there were some films that just went unnoticed – noticeably David Lean’s Summertime and Stevens’ Alice Adams.
             
The Nominees [Director]
George Cukor for Adam’s Rib
George Cukor for The Philadelphia Story
Anthony Harvey for The Lion in Winter
Howard Hawks for Bringing Up Baby
John Huston for The African Queen
            
I’m surprised that Cukor makes an appearance for Adam’s Rib, which I never saw as a directors’ flick but  his inclusion for The Philadelphia Story is obvious in every which way as is the nomination for Anthony Harvey. Howard Hawks and John Huston too are obvious candidates for the good director nod. Of the five, only Cukor [Philadelphia], Huston and Harvey were Oscar nominated. Naturally, none of them won.
                 
The Nominees [Picture]
The African Queen
Bringing Up Baby
Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner
The Lion in Winter
The Philadelphia Story
         
I’m surprised at the inclusion of The African Queen, which seems like the ideal candidate for a lone director slot [as it was at the Oscars] but I guess people like it, which surprises me a little. Bringing Up Baby has turned into a huge classic so I would have been surprised if it wasn’t there. But Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner was a surprise. I thought everyone hated this? I’m glad I was wrong. The Lion in Winter and The Philadelphia Story were unsurprising inclusions but I thought that On Golden Pond as a crowd-pleaser would make a showing here.
             
Are you doing any of these for the blogathon on Friday?
      
Polls close tonight. The results will be in on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...