Thursday, December 17, 2009

2003: The Acting: …Then the Men

So now it's on to the men. I suppose my picks are just about as strange as the men, but I stand by choices especially in the Supporting Actor category that was royally f***ed up. Okay not quite, but still - just saying...

           
Supporting Actor
Tier Three
Kevin Bacon, Mystic River
Billy Crudup, Big Fish
Djimon Honsou, In America
Derek Luke, Pieces of April
Viggo Mortenson, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Okay Viggo had done his best work of the trilogy in the second installment, but they could have thrown him a bone. I can't be too pissed at Honsou's nomination, I like him,  but I really wasn't all that blown away. And what made Bacon's work in Mystic River so unimportant?

                        
Tier Two
Sean Astin, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Alec Baldwin, The Cooler
Ian McKellen, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Philip Seymour Hoffman, Cold Mountain
Cillian Murphy, Girl With a Pearl Earring
I really was not heavy on Oscar buzz back in 2003, but I remember loads of people predicting Sean Astin. For the record I was not a fan of Sam, but damn he carried Frodo up the freakin' mountain and you can't even give him some love. Astin is really good here, depressing, but good. Cillian Murphy was one of the few things I could tolerate in Girl With a Pearl Earring, he is desperately in need of a good role. They could even have thrown a second nomination to Gandalf. Perhaps Hoffman wasn't any good in Cold Mountain. But then again, nah.                       
The Nominees
Billy Boyd, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Benicio Del Toro, 21 Grams
Albert Finney, Big Fish
David Hyde Pierce, Down With Love
Tim Robbins, Mystic River   
So two Oscar nominees are here, and three performances that were thoroughly overlooked. I guess my one and two would be Robbins and Del Toro [in that order], they were amazing – I’ve said it before. As I’ve said that Albert Finney, my third choice, was good. Boyd was always my favourite of the hobbits, and his Pippin in this third film was perfect. Of the hobbits, he did the most growing and it was a great performance. Hyde Pierce had amazing comedic timing in the under loved Down With Love.
             
The Actors
Tier Three
Anthony Hopkins, The Human Stain
Tommy Lee Jones, Missing
Tobey MaGuire, Seabiscuit
Ewan McGregor, Down With Love
Jack Nicholson, Something’s Gotta Give
I probably should rewatch The Human Stain. I don't remember it fondly, but I do remember it with some respect. . McGregor and Tommy Lee Jones are the best of this lot...Ewan just had a great year and yet he was ignored like nobody's business. Gah!
                    
Tier Two
Collin Farrell, Phone Booth
Russell Crow, Master & Commander
Ben Kingsley, House of Sand & Fog
William H. Macy, The Cooler
Sean Penn, 21 Grams
Am I crazy with the love for Farrell? It's so weird how Russell picked up almost no traction - they've really fallen out of love with him. Sean Penn is someone else who had quite a year. Luckily they rewarded him for Mystic River. Not that 21 Grams would have been undeserving, but it would have been way too predictable. Kingsley was good of course, hr just didn't make my top 5.

         
The Nominees
Johnny Depp, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of Black Pearl
Jude Law, Cold Mountain
Ewan McGregor, Big Fish 
Bill Murray, Lost in Translation
Sean Penn, Mystic River 
Well this is pretty easy. Sure Penn and Law battle it out and no one's a winner,because I'm a coward. Ewan gives his best performance that no one seems to care about in Big Fish, so do Depp and Murray actually but people take notice of them. Altogether, it was a very good year for the men - but damn them for not even taking a look at Ewan. Ugh. Fail.
            
So what are your thoughts? McGregor, Law, Penn, Penn. Or, Robbins, Del Toro, Finney?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...