Friday, March 25, 2011

To David Lean...

I'm having computer troubles at the moment, which is just ghastly. I had so many articles to finish completing, but it is what it is. I'm too lazy now to finish the actual article I'd planned on doing for David Lean. It's difficult to avoid Lean's more overt characteristics of being a prelude to Anthony Minghella (whom I adore). I always feel just a bit bad for not loving Lean indiscriminately, though I do love him on occasion. Not that he needs absolution from me, the man has two Oscars. I'm still not certain about how I feel about The Bridge on the River Kwai (though I think it was the best of the nominated five - not having seen Sayanora), but the one for Lawrence of Arabia is more than deserved. It's a shame he won his Oscars for the films devoid of female emotion since I think he does so well when he takes a look at them (Summertime, A Passage to India even Brief Encounter or Doctor Zhivago)....but, we know about Oscar/Best Picture and Women.
               
His trump card will always be his attention to detail. His directors of photography almost always did brilliant work; just look at that beautiful shot from Doctor Zhivago below.
I didn't even know he worked as his own editor on A Passage to India. I still haven't seen either of his Dickens adaptations or a few others of his significant ones, but I love these three the best - and these three performances, each of them so very timeless. Yes, I'd have Oscar-ed them all.
Ultimately, I'd remember David by heading back to Summertime - it's unnaturally low-key for him, but I think it's remarkable (and he reportedly loved it most of his films). How would you celebrate his birthday?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...