Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Pilot Me

This blog will always be a film blog first, and a TV blog second. Nonetheless, I can’t abate the affinity I have for television, even if that affinity dissipates, somewhat, when I think of how the bar for good television has fallen. I’m never certain if I’m overreaching here, and if that tendency for retrospection to augment quality occurs – but I think of years from 2000-2002 and the shows that were on at the time include legends (to me): Friends, Six Feet Under, The Sopranos, Will & Grace, Sex & the City, The West Wing and also-rans more than worthy of their place in history like Ally McBeal, Alias and 24 (back when it was good).

I can’t think of more than five shows, if that many, that I could look back at in ten years and claim that they were doing brilliant things in their 2010/2011 season. And yet, so many of the shows that aren’t do great things at this precise moments showed promise – a show like Desperate Housewives had a brilliant pilot, and great first (and arguably second) season. It’s not as brilliant today. Community and Glee have – in varying ways – lost some of their first season lustre and that’s not even touching on shows like Brothers & Sisters, Grey’s Anatomy or even my beloved (and soon, dear departed) Big Love. What’s my point? Pilot episodes are great.
 
So, just because I don’t cover enough television on this pseudo-television blog I’m taking it back. Most weeks I take a look back at a film I’ve seen before and see I’ve changed perspectives. Why not do it for pilots? How interesting would it be to watch the pilot for Dexter and see how the show’s grown (arguably the only show on at the moment that has reached and surpassed its potential)? Or revisit the very episode where Rachel showed up at Central Perk in her wedding dress? I’ve already got ten pilots that I’ve geared up to watch, but the number is infinite. 
             
Any shows you’d like for me to take a new look at their pilot episodes? Looking forward to this project of mine?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...