Sunday, November 28, 2010

Oscar Talk: Toy Story III & The Animated Race

I hate to be a killjoy (honest, I do) but the burgeoning Best Picture campaign for Toy Story III keeps on leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Of course that’s because the film itself left me feeling marginally unsatisfied. It’s a sort of déjà vu that I’m experiencing, I was feeling this way last year when Up was taking the awards’ races by storm and it looks as if Toy Story III has an easier path ahead of it. From Coraline to The Fantastic Mr. Fox to The Princess& the Frog it was an unusually strong year in the category but this year’s picking is more than slim. True, I’d give How to Train Your Dragon (which is admittedly, the sole other animated film I’ve seen so far) a slight edge over Toy Story III because it’s candour and freshness is much more appealing and (forgive the weak pun) animated; but neither of the two seems to be a great credit to its form.
I’ll probably see Tangled sooner or later – if only for the sake of being a completist (I’ve somehow managed to avoid Despicable Me so far). I already have a slight built-in aversion to Tangled - not so much the film, but the ridiculousness of the story behind its renaming. The thing is, even if it’s doing better than anticipated there’s virtually no possibility of it uprooting Toy Story III which is the favourite – sentimentally, and otherwise., though I'd be happy if it really is good. The question now isn’t if Toy Story III is going to win the race, it’s how much of a threat it could be in the Picture category. Obviously, I’ve no choice but to resign myself to the continued ten-nominees situation and if push comes to shove I’d prefer to see Toy Story III on the nomination more than something like Inception or The Town both of which are being touted as serious contenders, the former more-so than the latter.
I don’t know if it’s because I’m existing in the clouds, but I still don’t feel that the race is as wrapped up as some seem to believe. Of course we all know that it isn’t over until it really is, but I’m just having this feeling that a serious contender is being ignored – what, I don’t know. I don’t think Toy Story III is it, a Best Picture win for it would be exceedingly surprising. I suppose, as it stands Pixar needs to prepare space for the inevitable trophy that’s going to be handed to Toy Story III. It’s months before the fact, but I figure if there’s any race that’s “wrapped” it’s this one. And I’m probably the only person (along with Armond White) who won’t be ecstatic about this. Ha. I just wish we'd have gotten something a little...better, could Tangled be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...