Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Trailer Parks...(or Snap Judgements)

I’m one of those weird cinephiles who’s not interested in seeking out trailers for upcoming films. The concept of trailers holds little interest for me, I don’t even watch previews of my favourite TV shows. I know I’m alone on that – and I’m fine with that, but recently the trailer infatuation has gotten kind of crazy. I know Yojimbo would agree with me on that.

I guess we can some up the point of a trailer as a way to pique the interest of viewers in a film, I’m not exactly sure who makes trailers – probably not the movie directors, which is why I don’t get why so many bloggers I see deciding NOT to see a movie because of a trailer. I don’t know, there are some movies I know I won’t see – I ended up watching the trailer for Gulliver’s Travels at Heather’s behest. I loathe Jack Black, and the trailer’s tone kind of showed that they didn’t care for Swift, I guess I’m as guilty. Still, I don’t think that trailers work as a way of telling us what to watch. Obviously, with all the movies being released every year we can’t see all and we have to decide how to choose – but I’m not sure trailers are the best way. Well, really, there’s no best way. You don’t know if it’s good (or awful) until you’ve seen it.

As it is, I’ve seen three and half trailers for 2010 films. I’ve seen the Harry Potter trailer, Rabbit Hole and The King Speech. The half is Never Let Me Go – but I saw it on mute, so it doesn’t count as a whole. The reason I watched each of those trailers is because I knew I was going to see the films anyhow. The first three were in the top 5 my official list of films to anticipate this year. I wouldn’t go watch the trailer for a movie like Winter’s Bone (I’ll be reviewing that soon) because if I didn’t like the trailer I might be moved to judge it beforehand, it’s inevitable – trailers have that effect on you. If you’re unsure about a film I think a trailer might be the worse way to decide if you’re going to see it or not.
 
Maybe I’m crazy though. Well, crazier.
           
(Side Note: The return of the redhaired Nicole Kidman! Gah!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...