Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A Tale As Old As Time

Now that Pixar flicked has gone and rewritten history and whatnot Beauty and the Beast is not the only animated flick to earn a Picture nomination. It was a long time coming, and why waste words on the Oscars when I can celebrate an animated classic we all can enjoy? Just for arguments sake I would like to hear from someone who doesn’t like Beauty & the Beast. It’s become the quintessential Disney piece, it’s gone on to Broadway success and it’s spawned many (unfortunately) dubious sequels, prequels and franchises. Why? Because it’s that good.
              
Still, Beauty and the Beast is imperfect. There’s the (intentional?) error that says the Beast has been locked up for so many years and the spell breaks when he turns 21 which would mean he was a child when he turned away that Old Woman from his door. You have to be wondering where his parents are, but I suppose it points to my unprofessionalism that I let things like these go because sometimes things like these don’t matter. Sue me. I’ve always bean enamoured with this bit and Belle remains as the one of the premier characters that Disney has created. In fact, an argument could be made that Beauty & the Beast boasts Disney’s best ensemble. It is filled with nuanced characters, even the ostensible oaf Gaston is more than two-dimensional…pun intended. The role of parents (Mrs. Potts and Maurice), jealousy, sacrifice...it's all there and so well handled. But I don’t want to bore you with analysis. Let’s keep the thoughts on the good stuff…

…good stuff like the music. "Be Our Guest", "Belle", "Something There" and of course the lovely "Beauty & the Beast". The special edition hosts a new number "Human Again" which is just as lovely as the rest. I don’t think I can – or care to – review this classic. Why should I? I don’t think anything can be thrown in that needs to be since all has been said already. It’s as good as they come and with a whole lot of heart. It has a message, but it doesn’t overplay it and it is just so lovely to look at and listen to. No one does it like Disney, and even in Disney few did it as well as Beauty & the Beast. It’s my #48.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...