Sunday, March 7, 2010

Oh Jonathan, Jonathan, Jonathan. What Happened?

I’ve been waiting for about five years now for Jonathan Rhys Myers to turn into the next rising star in Hollywood and still no avail. It’s a good thing I’m not the betting type, I’d have lost a crapload of money by now. The first time I remember him was in 2005’s Match Point. Sure I was getting all hot and bothered for Scarlett in what has since endured as her best performance (thus far) but I was impressed by Jonathan as the sly Chris. It’s the sort of performance than you expect to be a star making one. Woody always caters to his actors and it was a leading role. True, Match Point didn’t catch on like it was supposed to but it wasn’t a bust. It was underrated, but not hated. Still nothing happened.
Then along came The Tudors. I haven’t watched it in a while but for the first two seasons it was one of the best shows on TV and I still can’t understand how the hell he didn’t end up with at least an Emmy nomination. I’m still royally pissed about that – pun intended. Now obviously, it’s a British series and whatnot but I don’t get what the Emmy was trying to prove since they were nominating it left and right for technical awards but nothing for the writing, direction and nothing for Jonathan. He’s been coasting along since – August Rush was passable, but still nothing exceptionally good (or bad). And then – From Paris with Love. What can I say? I wonder who the target audience for this film is. The illogicality of it all is simply astounding and when did Jonathan turn into a bad actor? I mean I’ve never been a fan of Travolta and the ship has sailed on his good days, but Jonathan was sooooooooooo wooden. Does bad acting (Travolta’s) transfer through proximity?
To say the least, I’m disappointed. I was hoping back in the day that he’d turn into the new Jude Law - and you know how I feel about Jude -  but that doesn’t look too promising. Maybe he just has a really bad American accent…that would explain much. But I can’t make any excuses for From Paris with Love. Just bad, bad, bad. Sheesh. Thank god I saw it for free.
          
Jonathan in The Tudors (Seasons 1- 2): A-
Jonathan in Match Point: B+
Jonathan in From Paris With Love: C-
From Paris With Love: D-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...