Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Encore’s Birthday Marathon: Day 14

I posted a snippet earlier “celebrating” Clint Eastwood’s birthday. 2004 wasn’t the first year that I watched the Oscars, but it was the first year where I was actively participating. I had my prediction list, my wish list and I was painfully invested in the outcome of the “race”. So, it’s only natural that Clint’s visage is what appears when I think of all that went wrong with me and Oscar on that first fateful night. But, I think I’m already overreaching...
               
Around the time that the precursors were being handed out in that 04/05 Oscar season I remember making my sister print out the entire roster of the Oscars in the top 6 categories from 1932 onward. I’m still not sure what I hoped to achieve by this (as you can imagine it was a gargantuan amount of paper) but I ended up memorising a great deal of it so that I turned into a prodigious Oscar-trivia go-to person. I’ve grown past the embarrassment in that I can actually admit to it without cringing, much, but it’s only proof that when I commit to something I really do commit. General jadedness had made me lose that zeal towards the Oscars but I still retain that uncontrollable intensity (proof) and now I have this strange relationship with the Oscars – and all general awards’ ceremony, really. Jose said that if you try really hard you can blame every terrible thing about movies on the Oscars. He was deliberately being sarcastic, but is interesting how the Oscars have managed to take on that larger than life existence, which only adds to that conflicting relationship I have with them. It's too early in the year to spend talking about the Oscars. Right...?
           
It has been a while since the Oscars. How do you feel about them now?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...