Sunday, May 29, 2011

“Yes, I know I've played these women, but I'm not really conniving at all.”

Because Katharine Hepburn is my favourite actor, I tend to think of all other female actors that I like in terms of her. Helena Bonham Carter has her frankness; Cate Blanchett has her perfectionist nature; Emma Thompson has her charm, and Annette Bening has her strong screen presence. A few months ago Nick Davis (of Nick’s Flick’s Picks) wrote a brilliant send-up to the Bening, but I couldn’t let her birthday past without making note of her worth to me.
      
I first “met” Bening via Sydney Ellen Wade (of The American President) and I’d forever consider her harsher characterisations against this smart, yet still idiosyncratic lobbyist. Annette is a bit indistinguishable from Kate in the sense that each of her performances retains a strong sense of Annette while still being diverse performances. The difference, though, is that I’ve never seen any film make use of her warmth as much as they make use of her more prickly sides. It’s so that she’s come to be categorised as the de facto ball-buster and the less attentive of audience members are willing to categorise Deidre Burroughs, Carolyn Burnham, Julia Lambert and Nic as extensions of the same self. They are extensions of the same in that they’re all from Annette but the thing about her is that her harsher tones are so loud the quieter moments where she elevates her characters are often missed. But, in the grander scheme of things I cannot say that I mind - more Bening for me.


Jean Harris in Mrs. Harris (2005)
 
I realize that you are just a secretary and weren't as fortunate as I in graduating magna cum laude from Smith, but surely any well-read 10-year-old knows the meaning of the word bizarre.
           
Nic Algood in The Kids Are All Right (2010)
Well I need your observations like I need a dick in my ass!

Deirdre Burroughs in Running with Scissors (2006)
Augusten. Don't smoke my cigarettes. You have a pack of your own.

Carolyn Burnham in American Beauty (1999)
There happens to be a lot about me that you don't know, Mr. Smarty Man. There's plenty of joy in my life.
        
Julia Lambert in Being Julia (2004)
 
B-E-N. Ben!
          
Pick one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...