Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Randomness: Clarissa Vaughn in The Hours

Today’s the birthday of Meryl Streep, insert description of her laurels here – yada yada ya. I’m not the biggest fan of Meryl, which most of you know but I go absolutely crazy for her work in The Hours. With the exception of her excellent voicework in The Fantastic Mr. Fox it’s my favourite performance of hers which was done in my lifetime. It was on TV the other day and I only caught the last forty minutes but it’s still beautiful to watch. Officially, my favourite portion is Virginia’s but really each part of the trio is excellent. Sure, Meryl is a chameleon and what not but she has one of the warmest off-screen dispositions I’ve seen and one of the reasons I love her Clarissa Vaughn so much is the warmth she brings to the character. Next to Dillane’s Leonard (an often underrated triumph) she’s probably the only character who’s not completely broken. It remains as one of the most exasperating Oscar snubs for me. I love this thinking shot. (It's so ironic because she's so organic and non-technical here.)
Happy birthday, Meryl. I may dislike you on principal for breaking Katharine Hepburn’s nomination thrice over, but Clarissa eviscerates any bad feelings. What's your favourite Meryl from 1990-2011?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...