Friday, January 14, 2011

Oscar Talk: Sound



 Sound Editing, Sound Mixing – were there a poll I think I’d bet money that this is the category that non-cinephile Oscar watchers (are there any of those, though?) understand the least. I’ll just add a few notes to the already lengthy bits of pieces I’ve seen trying to explain. One’s about the individual sounds – the effects, if you will and the other’s about the overall sound scheme – everything blending together like the sound effects, the score, dialogue. I hate that there’s always talk about joining the two categories – just because the they’re glamorous doesn’t make them any less valuable. Truth is, I’m terrible at predicting this particular category – I know what I’d go for, but no idea what the voters would want (I stull don’t understand the snubs for Sweeney Todd and Coraline).

                          
On the note of sound editing I suppose that something like Inception would be a lock and I’ll add in 127 Hours because Slumdog Millionaire made it here – and I didn’t understand that nod, either – 127 Hours would actually make sense here. Pixar might get a token animated nod which would mean Toy Story III turns up here. Beyond that, I scratch my head – so I’ll say Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows and Alice in Wonderland.

Predictions: 127 Hours / Alice in Wonderland / Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows / Inception / Toy Story III

The sound mixing is where you could get a high-profile film like Black Swan showing up, the sound was an important part of that – and since there’s often crossover I expect Inception and Toy Story III to get in here. I’d Shutter Island here because I still don’t think they’ll ignore it very good technical achievements and I’ll add 127 Hours, the sound IS overwhelming – but it’s good.

Predictions: 127 Hours / Black Swan / Inception / Shutter Island / Toy Story III

Does it seem like I bring up Scott Pilgrim vs the World everywhere? True, it’s not my favourite film but I think the sound is easily the best technical thing about it – even more than the visuals. Who knows? Maybe they’ll get the chance to contend here, I’d also suggest The Ghost Writer and Robin Hood – the latter, especially. But who knows, I’ll probably be surprised whatever happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...