Tuesday, October 27, 2009

2008: The Leading Ladies

Being a fool or something akin, I accidentally deleted this post...so here it is again with some alterations. I was mixed on quite a few of the critical darlings, but let’s take a look. [alphabetical order]
           
The Semi Finalists
Anne Hathaway in Rachel Getting Married
Yes readers, I was unimpressed with this performance. It’s not just because there’s no love lost between the two of us, but she wasn’t given enough to work with and she couldn’t rise above the material.
             
Scarlett Johansson in Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Scarlett Johansson is not the greatest actress of her age or whatever but I think this performance was vastly underrated. It’s an atypical role for her, she doesn’t wear her sexuality like a flag, but there are some moments that are quite good and some line readings are particularly profound.
               
Emma Thompson in Last Chance Harvey
Sure it’s a pretty lightweight role, especially for someone of her talent. But it’s not unsatisfying and she is charming as per usual.
                          

The Finalists
Rebecca Hall in Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Incidentally she was the most rounded character, so she was much luckier than her co-stars. I realised I had seen her popping up in lots of films, but it’s the first time I really focused on her. She could go far.
                 
Sally Hawkins in Happy Go Lucky
Poppy grew on me and I ended up appreciate her performance. Sure I didn’t mind her not getting an Oscar nomination, but it’d be nice to see what else she can do.
                    
Nicole Kidman in Australia
Sue me; I enjoyed her in this movie. Sure it was a bit too schizophrenic for its own good, but she went with the flow of the film and the development of the character despite being ludicrous seemed realistic in its own twisted way.
               
Melissa Leo in Frozen River
She stood out from the middling film. She was not my favourite, but I was pleased to see her nomination. I hope that even though it's late in the game that her career can build some sort of momentum.
                 
Meryl Streep in Doubt
Her role was tailor made for awards attention so at some point you have to wonder if she was really that good. But I didn’t hate the performance like some of her detractors and after getting past the accent there were some really good scenes. The characterisation was a bit too bizarre at times but oh well, it’s her style.
              
The Nominees


Cate Blanchett in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
I don’t believe anyone else could have done this role. Cate was just marvellous; sure it wasn’t anything I didn’t know, but reaffirmation is always nice.
        
Angelina Jolie in Changeling
It wasn’t as good as her excellent turn in A Mighty Heart, but still. And sure, most persons seemed to hate it and it did get a bit generic at times, but I was impressed.
                                   
Frances McDormand in Burn After Reading
She has some wicked comedy timing in this and she manages to sell even the most outrageous parts of the story.
           
Kristin Scott Thomas in I’ve Loved You So Long
Damn those American awards. Why couldn’t she get some recognition? It sucks that the Globes were the only ones to show her any love.
              
Kate Winslet in Revolutionary Road
It’s not exactly a stretch for her, but she captures April so wonderfully and we are able to understand and even empathise wit her. Dare I say it…? The best of her generation?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...