Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The King’s Speech, The Musical: Track List

You probably might have heard by now that The King’s Speech is headed to Broadway, and I really am intrigued by the state of affairs which has turned the film from affable Best Picture contender to loathed Oscar winner. (I was a vaguely reticent fan when I first saw, but upon multiple viewings it ended up in my top 7 that year).
           
I’m interested in the notion of how the film will transfer to theatre, I could imagine the libretto would be rather simple – the script is straightforward. It’s the music – the crux of a musical – that has me more anxious. I happened to get my hands (illicitly, of course) on a drafted list of songs for the 2012 opening. I’ve left my thoughts below on what I imagine they could be about where necessary.
       
ACT ONE
  • The Microphone – Ensemble

  • Speech Therapy– Elizabeth

  • The Penguins – Bertie

  • My Castle, My Rules – Lionel

  • Unnamed Song – Bertie, King George V

  • The King’s Speech I– Lionel, Bertie and Elizabeth

  • When I Was a Boy – Bertie, Lionel

  • King George the Stammer-er – Bertie, David




This would probably be the scene for the first The King's Speech number...

ACT TWO
  • When I Was A Boy (Reprise) – Bertie

  • Shit and Fuck and Tits – Albert and Lionel

  • The King’s Speech II– Bertie, David and Ensemble

  • Unnamed Song - Lionel

  • If I Must Be Queen – Elizabeth, Bertie (I imagine that this could be a sleeper number that ends up becoming the emotional gamut of the show)

  • Confrontation / I Have A Voice– Bertie, Lionel

  • The King’s Speech III – Albert, Lionel, Elizabeth and Ensemble


It seems the songwriters are playing on the concept of his literal speech and his speech (as in the manner of speaking), which is the only reason I could account for a resounding THREE songs with the title. I’m actually surprised that Elizabeth actually has a solo, this is – after all – a boys’ piece so she’s probably lucky to get even that. I like that the purported list has little more than a dozen numbers, which probably means it probably won’t be sung-through. I can’t imagine what the solo number for Lionel in the second act could be about. Maybe we might get a further glimpse of home life…who knows?
       
Fingers crossed; maybe the lyrics to some of these gems might leak before the year’s out. *I’ll do my utmost to make that happen.*
          
Now that we've seen the track list are you anticipating the film's transfer to the stage?
     
(To state the obvious, in case the deadpan is misleading - this information is falsified.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...